The Net-Front Play hockey drill works on net-front play in a competitive situation
This drill from our friends at Hockey Coach Vision is a great small-area game that works on net-front play in a competitive situation.
- 1 on 1 activates 2 on 2.
- The coach shoots the puck in and the goalie plays the puck to the corner. One player from each line battles for the puck.
- The player winning possession passes to a teammate, then takes position in front of the net. The teammate shoots and then joins the play.
- When the other team gains possession, they must first carry the puck below the goal line before passing it back to their teammate. Players can pass back to a third teammate, who shoots but cannot join the play.
- Skaters get to the net to screen the goalie and look for deflections and rebounds.
- Defenders work on maintaining good body position and controlling the attacker’s stick in net-front play.
- The coach can activate the next player at any time should play run too long. (Play 30-45 seconds.)
About Hockey Coach Vision…
Hockey Coach Vision is an application used by hockey coaches that allows them to digitize drills and tactics in animated 3D, which can then be shared. The app works on Mac or PC, as well as on iPad and Android tablets. This powerful coaching tool enables hockey coaches to design virtually any game situation. It uses animated 3D, so that coaches can view all their plays using various 3D perspectives. Your drills can be shared with your players and assistant coaches. PDFs can be generated to keep everyone in the loop with your practice plan. Monthly plans can be created by placing your practice packages and notes into your calendar. Manage your team and use it within every aspect of your practice plans. Use video or picture recordings to store a play, analysis, drill, technique, etc.
Coaches: If there’s a specific area you’d like to see covered, feel free to post your comment in the area below and we’ll do our best to include it. Look for a new hockey drill from HCV here soon!